Monday, April 13, 2009

The Funny Things She Does

Last week I was working by my dining room window as I usually do each morning. Eliyah plays in the living room and frequently toddles over to me before heading back to whatever she was doing. So I wasn't surprised when she came over to me, touched the corner of my chair and went back from whence she came. When she returned about 30 seconds later touching the corner of my chair again, I looked down at where her little hand had rested. Laying gingerly where she had left them were two q-tips. In a flash I pictured the whole the scene. I quietly got up and followed her as she proudly walked back to her starting place once again - exactly where I knew she was going. I peaked around the corner of the of the bathroom door to find her walking right up to her new treasure chest, lifting the lid, and reaching out her hand to find yet another treasure ... before I had to put a stop to it. Yes, she was going to the small trash can in the bathroom, lifting the lid and picking out used q-tips to so proudly gift to me. You should have seen her eyes! She was so proud of herself and so thrilled at her new discovery. I hated having to dash that smile.

Then today during snack time she was getting her new favorite - dried mango. Dried mango can be a tad on the chewy side, so it sometimes takes her some work to finish a slice. Since we've been teaching her sign language and manners, she always has to ask for more and say "please". Today was no exception. I had given her a piece and she thought she was ready for me. So she signed for more, and as usual I prompted her to say please. She tried with all her might to get that word out, but since her mouth was completely full of the previous slice, she couldn't get it out. Not wanting to miss out on that fresh piece, without a thought she pulled the half-eaten piece out, said "Pwease" with a smile, and shoved it right back in her mouth. It happened so fast and was so ridiculously cute, I sat there stunned for a moment with a stupefied half-smile on my face. Needless to say, she did not get second slice on cue. But it did re-confirm my need to always have her actually say please when she wants more. If she can say it (or attempt to), I can at least tell the status of her last bite.

No comments: